Sunday, February 22, 2009

Social Outcasts

I got another chance to realize how weird I am tonight. Orchestra rehearsal is at 6:30, but because of transportation issues I had to be dropped off at about 5:45. Now I didn't really expect anyone to be there yet so I brought a book with me. But I was wrong. There was one person there already. The base player. I'd never really talked to him before so I had no clue what he was like. But we were both standing in the hallway(the door to the rehearsal room was locked) and after a short awkward silence we started talking. And the more we talked the more comfortable I got.

I found out that he was somewhat a social outcast. When he went to Junior High, all his friends went to the other Junior high so he was friendless. And it sounded like basically he hasn't really had any friends since. He said that people think him weird so they just avoid him or at least, if they don't avoid him, they treat him like he doesn't belong. So when he asked me what school I go to, I felt totally comfortable telling him, "I'm homeschooled." Normally, I hate having to tell people that. Not because I'm ashamed of it. I love being homeschooled. It's just that, the moment I say those words, they give me a look and then stop talking to me because they don't know how to relate to me.

I told him that I kinda understood being written off as weird. Being homeschooled makes everyone think I'm just some kind of freak. Add to that the fact that I have 8 siblings and we drive around in a 12 passenger van, freak is the only word that can really describe me. But he just looked at me and said, "So just because your homeschooled, people think you're a freak?" I love when people make it clear they think that is as dumb as I do. =P

Joel showed up at a little after 6. And after this guy left to go look for someone that was supposed to be bringing his base, Joel started commenting about how weird he was. And I was so.....oh what's the word....well I just wanted to yell at Joel and tell him he's a jerk. Far too often we do call people weird: People we have NEVER talked to. But why? If you would only talk to them before giving them such a title, you might find that they are just hurting inside.

So here's what is weird about me. I'd much rather talk to a 'weird' person that most would want nothing to do with, than a popular, cool person that seems to have it all together. Not normal I know. But I guess when the person seems the weirdest on first glance, that's when they are usually hurting the most. And if someone is hurting because of being shunned for no real reason, then we have something in common. So I love talking to them. I hate feeling like I'm the only one that does NOT have it all together. So talking to others in the same boat is refreshing. And you know, maybe, just maybe, I brightened his day a little too. Maybe I showed him that someone can care to listen to his problems without judging him. And if I did, then the time I took to do so was well spent. People listen to me and my problems an awful lot. So what better thing can I do but to do the same for others.

Okay, if that made no sense what so ever, I'm very sorry. I'm extremely tired right now, and still on an emotional roller coaster so I'm kinda having trouble thinking straight.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey sis! =)
Oh wow... that is so neat Mel! I'm really glad you got to talk to that guy. Thankfully, I've never had the weird look thing. Although most people think that Spencer and I are pretty weird. ;-)
But I'm sure it is nice to talk to another "weird" person. =P
What a bad Joel. =P Hehe. I'm gonna nom him next time I talk to him. =D
I really enjoyed the post!
Oh, and e-mail me if you need to talk to me!! =D
Love ya girly!! *hugs*

~Maddie

Anonymous said...

I'm a part time counselor at a church camp called Faith Bible Camp. The first time I went, I met two girls by the name of Lori and Anna. They were home schooled. Lori once told me that the two of them took Drivers Ed in a public school. Upon hearing that there were two home-schoolers in the classroom, everyone started looking around the room for them, saying things like, "Really!? I've never actually seen one before." Lori shared with me that she felt as though she had been an animal on display. She found it more amusing than anything.

What I've found is that, though they were home schooled and I went to a public school, they are considerably less socially inept than I.

Melody said...

Eh, Maddie, don't nom Joel. He can't help it really. He is no different than everyone else in the world. Judging people by how they look without giving them a chance. Though I have to say, I was rather mad at him at the time. Still am to some extent.

Kerry, that is exactly how it feels most the time. A bug under a micro-scope/and animal on display: both do a great job of describing the way people generally treat homeschoolers. You are expected to have no clue how to interact with people. And one of the first questions often asked is, "Do you have any friends?" Sadly I don't help to change there impression when I have to explain that most my friends I met through GenJ and therefore have not really met.

I can definitely see how they can find it amusing though. When you're told you're stupid because you're homeschooled and 'obviously' can't be getting a proper education, you just start asking them random science/math facts and they get quiet for awhile. Generally only opening their mouths again to ask for help with homework. =P

Joel said...

I have to clarify two things. First, it was definitely wrong of me to comment about him being weird. That is something that I'm working on (judging people). Second, I have talked to him on several occasions but that's not a good reason for treating him badly.