Monday, January 5, 2009

Christmas break!

Well, today was the first day of school. Break is over. And while it's sad, I'm feeling better than I ever remember feeling after a break. See, normally I totally waste my breaks doing pretty much nothing. I accomplish nothing and come to the end feeling like I just lost part of my life. And I really have. But this break was different. While I didn't accomplish a ton of goals, I did accomplish one. A few weeks before break, some friends and I decided to take on a rather large endeavor for our break. Getting an overview of the bible. What better time to do this than Christmas break. That way you go into the new year with the overview and can use it to better you studying. The thing is, we didn't want just any overview. We didn't want to just read some book written by man laying out the main points/events in the bible. So, what did we do? We set out with the goal of reading the entire bible over Christmas break.

We started December 21. And let me tell you, we were all pumped and ready to go. We had a schedule to keep and nothing was going to stop us. Though we had already undergone a lot of opposition from people telling us that it was impossible. The more people that told us we would never make it, the more we were determined to make it. Unfortunately, the day it started, my sister and bro-in-law were here so I didn't really read much. I think I only got through Gen. 15 and I was supposed to get to Ex. 20. It was really bad. And the more I tried to catch up, the farther behind I seemed to get.

About half way through, I was ready to quit. I even said so. But through the encouragement of some friends(Steph and Dan, thanks so much), I did not quite. I stuck it out and kept reading. Then, because of a dare I took causing me to not go to bed until I saw Matthew 1, I caught up the rest of the way. The next night, I again stayed up all night, this time not because I was dared to, but because Brianna, Sara, and I were racing to see how far we could get. The night was over, and I was exhausted. But I had to keep reading. I slept for a few hours and then got back to it.

Thursday night, I went to bed 'early' to try and catch up on some sleep. Well, midnight isn't early but compared to the previous two weeks......it WAS early. I didn't mean to sleep too terribly wrong. I still had a lot of reading to do. BUT....apparently lack of sleep had caught up with me. I slept 13 hours straight. Only stirred once. Then silly me, I got up, and what did I do, I got on the computer and chatted like all day. At around 9is I got back to my reading, as I watched a movie. It was midnight....so it was officially Saturday. The last day. I stayed up until 3 reading and set my alarm for 4:30. Guess who didn't wake up! =P

Saturday morning started at 8. I read until about ten and then started on cleaning the house as is our ritual on Saturdays. I finished my chores as quickly as I could and got back to reading. Revelations came.....it felt like it stretched on forever. But finally, at about 12:30, I finished. If I wasn't so self conscious, I would have actually done a victory dance. But I controlled myself and didn't. But I was so hyper for the rest of the day.

Well, that's pretty much what my break was like. But, I didn't work the whole time. I did have fun. Well, honestly, the bible reading was an absolute blast. But I did other fun stuff too. I went bowling one night. And played three games of Risk. Won one, lost the other two. And also just hung out with family doing not much of anything. So I had my share of 'wasted' time as well. But break rocked. Now I'm back to school and regular routines. Funness! =P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasted my break. I am tring to read thrugh the bible starting this year!

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you that you were able to accomplish such a goal! =D I def wouldn't have been able too. =P I'm only just workin' my way through the Bible for the first time ever... =P Hehehe. Sounds like a wicked beast break though. =D