Monday, April 20, 2009

Different

As I watch my little brother grow up, my heart is filled with agony. John is different from most kids. Having Down's Syndrome, he learns much slower. Concepts that to us seem extremely easy to understand, are far to difficult for him to grasp. On top of being slow, he looks different. You can tell by looking at him that he has some type of mental handicap. And this affects how people view him. Kids look at him and immediately shy away. And this is where the agony began for me. Watching him in settings where a somewhat large group of kids are thrown together to play is heart breaking. Why? Because none of the kids want to play with him. They exclude him from their games and even do their best to make sure he doesn't play with their toys whether they're using them or not. He used to not notice. But as he's grown older, he has grown aware of this and accepted the lack of acceptance. Now, when placed in a group of kids, he doesn't even try to break past the barrier that faces him. He finds something of interest, (usually a car of some sort) and goes off by himself and plays. He has accepted rejection.

I as the big sister just want to first go and slap all those kids that reject him and shake some sense into them, and then, when I'm done dealing out wrath, take John up in my arms and tell him how much I love him. So, as I was thinking about his today, my brain did its natural thing when I'm upset about something. It started writing poetry. =P This poem is in honor of John and all the people in the world that are rejected for being different.



Different

God, I know I'm different,
But I do not understand.
Why when other kids could run,
I could not even stand.

God, I know I'm different,
But why must they all stare?
All these judging looks,
Are painful and unfair.

God, I know I'm different,
'Cause you made me this way.
Did you make me a retard,
Like all those people say?

God, I know I'm different,
And I know I have your love.
But why don't others like me?
Why must they push and shove?

God, I know I'm different,
And I'd really like some friends.
But no one wants to play with me.
No accepting hand extends.

God, I know I'm different,
And my heart is nearly broke.
All I want is love,
But they just laugh and poke.

God, I know I'm different,
But why can they not see?
It was not just for them,
that you died upon a tree.

God, I know I'm different,
And I'll try to be content.
But why can't I be normal,
So no one will comment?

God, I know I'm different,
And Down's isn't bad.
But couldn't I be normal?
If I'd fit in I would be glad.

God, I know I'm different,
And I will now be still.
You made me who I am,
And you think I fit the bill.

God you made me different.
Unique in every way.
You think that I am beautiful,
So just this way I'll stay.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Mel I don't know exaclty how hard it is for him or you being his sister but I will keep you, your family, and him in my prayers. Love you

Unknown said...

Melody,

I do not know what it's like. I don't really know how you feel. I can imagine what it might be like, how you might feel, but I know that would do no good.

I don't know you, and I def do not know John. But, I've heard you speak of him. I've seen his adorable smile in a photo. He sounds like an absolute sweet heart. I can imagine that he brings equal parts frustration and joy into your life. One thing I can relate to is the role of big sister. Wanting to smack the cruelties of selfish, clueless children out of the selfish, clueless children and rescue your bro... I know how that feels.

Your poem was wow. You write the rhyme-y kinda poetry well. Ugh. =P Haha. You express your thoughts through the written word well in general. =)

<3 ~Riah

Unknown said...

I know that must be really hard to go through. For both you and him. I don't really know how it feels, but I know it has to be hard. =(
Hehe, yeah, I tend to do the same kind of thing when I'm having a hard day. But I tend to make up music instead. =)
Good poem!
ttyl girly! Love ya! <3 * hugs *

~Maddie =)

Esther said...

Mel, your poem described it perfectly. And obviously being in the same situation I understand what you talking about. I just don't understand why anyone would want to reject such a lovable little kid.

But the thing is, it's not just kids like John, it's anyone who's a little different. Someone who maybe is a little quiet. I just want to give them all a big hug and tell them they are special they are and get to know them all. Agh, this always frustrates me.

Anonymous said...

I was convicted by this. . . like, a lot.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel,
Like most everyone else here, I can't really understand. But I am very sorry, and will lift you, John, and your whole family in my prayers. Love ya!
~Bri
BTW, the poem was awesome.